The investigation also uncovered testimonies of brutal treatment, including starvation and sexual assault, that non-Indigenous authorities repeatedly ignored.
- Cariboo Indian Residential School, also known as St. Joseph’s Mission Residential School, at Williams Lake in 1949.
- It was run in part by the same Catholic order that ran the former Kamloops Indian Residential School, where about 200 unmarked graves were detected in May 2021.
- Last May, Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc confirmed hundreds of unmarked graves at the Catholic-run Kamloops Indian Residential School grounds.
- So far, more than 4,000 unmarked graves have been confirmed and experts expect the figure to climb to at least 10,000.
- Anyone experiencing distress or pain as a result of residential schools can call the Indian Residential School Survivors Society Crisis Line (1-800-721-0066).