The doctor has also been sued dozens of times for allegedly providing inadequate medical care to detainees, including for mistreating broken bones.
- Robert Karas has been accused of treating COVID-positive detainees with anti-parasitic drug ivermectin.
- The ACLU has sued Karas on behalf of four inmates for the alleged treatment.
- Local officials agreed to commend Karas for a “job well done” in his handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
- The local doctor has not shied away from touting the use of the drug to treat COVID, despite the CDC and other agencies advising against doing so.
- Many in support of Karas’ treatment pointed out that “nobody died” as a result of taking the medication, but at least some inmates claim they have experienced ailing side effects.