Human Rights Watch says deaths during anti-jihadist operation in Moura ‘the worst atrocity in Mali in a decade’
- Human Rights Watch says 300 civilian men were allegedly executed over five days in March.
- HRW says it is the worst single atrocity reported in Mali’s decade-long armed conflict.
- Mali’s army has long been accused of rights abuses during counter-insurgency operations.
- It has forged closer links with Russia after its relations soured with the west – its former ally France – which has committed to scaling down its forces in the Sahel region.
- The country is under sanctions from the west Africa bloc Ecowas for ignoring an earlier commitment to hold elections in February this year.
- Germany’s foreign ministry urged Mali to hold an independent investigation into the reports of civilian deaths.