View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health at CNN.com.
- The US gave a total of $18.6 billion of equipment to the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces from 2005 to 2021.
- Equipment worth $7.12 billion remained in Afghanistan after the US military withdrawal was completed in August.
- The Defense Department has no plans to return to Afghanistan to “retrieve or destroy” the equipment, a report says.
- The huge value of the hardware left behind will refocus attention on the chaotic and hasty US withdrawal from the country in August, which has been heavily criticized by lawmakers from both parties.
- The report also says that five Mi-17 helicopters that had been in Afghanistan were officially transferred to Ukraine in 2022, though they were already in Ukraine.