American and Fijian officials claim the $325 million Amadea is owned by sanctioned billionaire Suleiman Kerimov.
- American and Fijian officials claim the $325 million Amadea is the property of Suleiman Kerimov, an oligarch who built his fortune on gold mining.
- Kerimov was sanctioned in March by the United States, United Kingdom and European Union in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- The Cayman Islands-flagged yacht berthed in Fiji on April 13, according to local reports and maritime analytics website Marine Traffic.
- The company the ship is registered to, Millemarin Investments, said it’s not owned by Kerimov.
- Instead, he argued in court that corporate paperwork traces the ship’s ownership to a former executive at Russia’s state-owned Rosneft oil company.