Gary Martin accomplished the feat at the Pennsylvania Catholic League Championship
- Gary Martin, a senior at Archbishop Wood High School Warminster, Penn., broke a record that had been set by Jim Ryun in 1965.
- Ryun became the first high schooler to run a mile in under four minutes in 1964, then broke his own record five times before graduating.
- Martin is now the 14th American high school athlete to break four minutes, and his time now ranks third all-time in outdoor runs.
- Martin plans to attend the University of Virginia upon graduation and hopes to become an Olympic athlete.
- After his record run, Ryun went on to compete in three Olympic finals, winning silver in 1500m during the 1968 Mexico City Olympics.