Less than 72 hours after a gunman killed 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas, thousands of gun owners gathered at an NRA meeting in Houston.
- Gun owners gathered in Houston to defend and celebrate the types of laws that made it possible for a teenager to purchase a pair of AR-15-style semiautomatic rifles days after his 18th birthday.
- Gun control activists and gun owners were separated by a four-lane road, metal barricades and horse-mounted police.
- Across the street, hundreds of protesters waved signs and shouted at NRA members as they filtered into the George R. Brown Convention Center.
- Polling shows that his views, and U.S.
- gun laws, are out of sync with overall public opinion.
- Sixty-seven percent of American voters strongly support banning assault-style weapons, compared with 25 percent who oppose a ban.